PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to build a Jumbo Jet Engine Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2010, 13:27
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to build a Jumbo Jet Engine Anyone?

I know a lot of forumeers, especially on this particular forum, are probably a bit blaise' and perhaps find it a bit 'old hat', but the BBC2 programme about building the RR Trent engine was really quite profound.

As an engineer myself, although not an aero one, I will admit to being actually quite moved by the components, the assemblies and the engine as a whole. They were, I thought, quite beautiful. Seriously, I honestly believe even individual fan blades could - perhaps should? - be shown at the Tate Modern as truly beautiful works of art. Highest level engineering; true, state of the art (that word again) metallurgy; true, but genuine visual beauty and probably tactile as well.

The assemblies were like intricate, delicate watches and yet were three or four feet in diameter and required a crane to locate. The fully assembled engine was still a thing of beauty, yet could contain and control almost unimaginable forces and stresses. Am I alone in thinking this? And did anyone else flinch when they destroyed one in a blade containment test?

There was also good news for those of us who mourn the passing of manufacturing in this country. Apparently RR have orders for over a thousand Trent engines and are hopeful of at least that again and perhaps more. I have no concept of what one of those lovely donk's set an airline back, but it may not be enough when you see what you are getting. Single metallic crystal turbine blades, machined to 7 microns? It makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Sorry about the gushing praise for everyone at Rolls-Royce Aero Engines, but I can never look at a 777 or A380 the same way again.

Roger.