PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alligator Airways engine failure?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2010, 09:40
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently this particular aeroplane was using about 2 quarts per bungle and the Pilots were moaning about how dodgy it was etc etc. I basically said that it is the upper limit of what is perfectly acceptable for a 540.

Now it was the last bungle and if the previous two Pilots had not checked it and topped it up this could explain the low level of oil.

Yes I would be a little concerned too if it were using that amount of oil and would be diligent in monitoring it every time I flew it, but letting it fly the line with that type of burn is not unacceptable IMO. I've flown 150s on condition that burnt similar amounts in a much smaller engine.

The company concerned is no better or no worse than any other entry level GA company and whilst I never worked with the current owner, the old owner ran a pretty tight ship in the mechanical side of the business. Someone mentioned that they didn't pay the award? The old owner was known for that however we all received our cheques in the mail a couple of years after we left and are all square. The new owner would be pretty silly to do such a thing considering the company has been under the microscope by the ombudsman in the past.

I look back on my time there and smile, I had a ball in the Kimberley.

Last edited by The Green Goblin; 6th Jul 2010 at 09:44. Reason: Can't spell for shit