PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Area or Approach - decsisions decsisions!
Old 5th Jul 2010, 18:36
Plazbot

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Not that I know the Atlantic specific game but in Oceanc procedural you are going to be pretty mimited in how your day to day controlling happens. 1000 feet and some time based standards will be the basics, 10 or 15 minutes depending. You will have a few distance based standards as well depending on what gear the aircraft have and how accurately they navigate. The Ocanic I worked we had 50nm for RNP approved aircraft, 10 minutes for certain others and 15 minutes for the rest. Very friggn tedious setting up mach numbers to satisfy some reduced time standards on HF radio that is for sure.

The non Oceanc procedural was a little less restrictive wth greatly reduced distance standards using DME/VOR/NDB type track/distance standards and some fairly 'close' nav gear based GPS/RNAV standards. Like I said, all smoke and mirors as you could just keep applying various standards until you proved they were missing each other. You will generally have a 'bag of tricks' that you use day to day however for the airspace you are using. How deep that bag is depends on how interested you are You potentially run aircraft far closer procedurally than on Radar. I gave climb procedurally to an aircraft that had reported outside a lateral separation area and they queried me as they could see the traffic and it was 'closer than 5 miles'.

Now for area Radar

5nm
1000ft