PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weathercock effect in turns
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2010, 17:56
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PBL... doesn't this quote you use prove exactly what I was saying?!

A sideslip causes the vertical stabilizer to experience an increased angle of attack. This creates a horizontal lifting force on the stabilizer
that is multiplied by the moment arm distance to the airplane’s CG (Figure 1-9-18). The moment created will swing the nose of the airplane back into the relative wind. This is identical to the way a weather-vane stays oriented into the wind.
I completely agree with this!! I have acknowledged that in a sideslip, the airplane would weathercock if no control inputs were applied to either keep it in the sideslip or to recover from the sideslip. It seems from all the discussion and quotes used that the aircraft has to be in a sideslip before this "weathercock effect" will happen. I have not seen anything published that says that "weathercock effect" happens while in a "coordinated turn". I should also point out that the quote is, like you said, from the Stability section and is dealing with "Directional Static Stability".

A roll to the right.... inclines the lift vector to the right.... The lateral component of the lift vector accelerates the airplane toward the right. The sideways velocity adds to the forward velocity to produce an angle of yaw between the airplane centerline and the effective oncoming velocity.
Again, this quote mentions a roll and then discusses how it will progress into a sideslip and how the nose will yaw. I completely agree with this!!