PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss evacuates in Thessalonique
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2002, 22:56
rainbow

Total Internal Reflection

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I say that this is a particularly informative thread for me. It has as much to say about issues of intra-aircraft attitudes, prejudices and relationships as it does (even if late) about issues technical.

I have learnt enough here about 'tailpipe fire / engine torching' to allay any fears of the 3 kids and spouse should we encounter the effect when we travel as SLF.

It seems to me that a tailpipe fire is simply the incomplete combustion of fuel. And it reminds me of our old high school chemistry classes when the Bunsen burner air supply was shut off resulting in a relatively large, wafting and somewhat harmless yellow flame.

I'm left wondering whether the nomenclature (tailpipe fire) is appropriate. It seems evocative of mayhem and disaster when in fact a normally operating turbine is a lot hotter!

Perhaps the effect could be called something else more in keeping with its benign nature. Say..'tailpipe ignition'? Any other suggestions?

In the meantime many thanks to all crew for numerous safe journeys through the skies. Heaven knows some SLF challenge professionalism, but here is a family appreciating you all.