PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2010, 15:50
JayPee28bpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pohuto

I agree entirely. The problem, though, is that Unite/BASSA promised members that they'd get staff travel back "in 5 minutes". That's already stretched out to several months, and any legal challenge at the European level will take years. Given that there is an abundance of quotes in the public domain about how unimportant staff travel is to many strikers, then Unite/BASSA has virtually no chance of persuading a Court that a fundamental workers' right has been damaged to the extent that it should look to moderate BA's rights to utilise its assets as it sees fit.

I agree Unite may look for a better opportunity to fight a similar case. However, that then pushes out the legal fight to return staff travel indefinitely, which is even further away from the 5 minute timetable originally promised to their affected members. Again, it simply highlights to me the inability of Unite generally to control one dysfunctional branch. That would not matter if it were not for the fact that so much senior officer time and general Union income is being diverted to that one branch. It's difficult to see how this benefits the Union's membership generally.