PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 5th Jul 2010, 14:26
Ava Hannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have all but admitted that you have been completely misled and lied to by BASSA. Now that you have realised that, isn't it time to cut your losses? Staff travel is on offer - with reduced seniority. That is far better than not having it all. Striking again, as you seem to realise, is futile and will not get your staff travel back. If you are only striking to get staff travel back, then it begs the question - why did you ever go on strike in the first place?
Cut my losses? That's what I'm trying to achieve as I have said that I can't accept a proposal that doesn't include full reinstatement of staff travel. Commuting from JNB would be a nightmare and it was sometimes difficult enough getting on with 17 years seniority.

I went on strike because of the principle of imposition. We had a strong vote for industrial action. On the first day of the strike in March, I had one of the earliest report times and I was convinced that most cabin crew would actually stand by their vote, which would have meant that almost the whole of the company had been grounded. With the assurance from BASSA that I would get my staff travel back, I based my decision to strike on these two points.

It is because of these lies and because of the ruin that BASSA have inflicted on people, that we all need to do something about it. Do not throw good money after bad by striking again - I really feel you are putting your job in serious jeopardy if you do.
Either way, my job is on the line. If I were to accept the current proposal, I would most likely have to resign as I cannot commute with reduced seniority. I can't relocate to the UK either. If I weren't to accept the proposal, BA might dismiss me. It's a catch 22 situation.