PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thomas Cook cadet scheme
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2010, 11:36
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why can't a european airline do a Cathay-esque sponsorship?
It's no sponsorship.
No, it's NOT sponsorship. One could even argue that it's not even that good a deal. But then what are your alternative routes into the industry?

[contentious point alert] - EVEN if you go modular, you should factor at least (IMHO) £50k for your training (alright, it can be done cheaper, but for the general person, who might need one or two extra lessons). Then there's no jobs out there, really there isn't. So factor another £30k for a Ryanair Type rating. Thats' IF you can get past screening. And if you pass the check. You're already at £80k

The point is, this is a silver to a TAF of "OVC001 TS +RA" for newbies right now. Thomas Cook are one of the more desirable outfits to get into. I would cut my own arm off if I were a newbie and so desperate to get into this game, rather than self sponsor. And yes, if anyone from TCX would like to offer me the same terms, we'll have to talk a bit, cos the lack of arm might have class 1 repercussions, but the offer stands!

Make no mistake, the major selling point of this is the job offer (all things being equal) at the end of the training. Believe me and the hundreds of other low houred unemployed fATPLs out there....that is worth a huge amount and you should NOT underestimate the value of that alone, regardless of the mentoring - just having a job to go to is worth it.

It's not a perfect offer, no. But it IS a hell of a lot better than any other scheme out there that I've seen and it IS out there.
Kudos to TCX....they are doing something very few others in Euroland are and I find it appauling that anyone is dumb enough to think it should be ignored because of the cost (on the basis they believe they can avoid an £81k bill for flight training anyway), or criticising TCX for doing it.
Wake up and smell the coffee people. Jeez.