PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2010, 09:32
yankiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to clarify a few things Fratemate so those following can be aware... I realize there is a long history of guys buying tickets and being refunded no problem, I'm not trying to rubbish the airline but I want to let people know it doesn't always go to plan.

There is more to my story, I don't feel like giving the exact info on a public website but I will try and expand a bit...

I didn't try and use a cheapo compare website. I used a reputable online travel service, one I've used many times before as there are no competent travel agents in my part of the world. They built me an acceptable ticket, with suitable connections which were guaranteed, if I had used the direct websites of two different airlines this would not be possible etc. By saying online agents have better prices I mean this for example, the ticket I paid for was $1200USD, my next option was over $5000 and involved me flying the wrong way 6 hours then getting on ANA for a long haul arriving 8pm the night before my interview. Now I wasn't trying to be cheap or difficult, but I'm not new to aviation either and I've seen people lose $$ before so I wanted to minimize my risk, and I'm glad I did. Yeah sure, its not 'my' money as they are supposed to pay it back, but it definitely came out of my bank account, so that is MY money until I'm refunded.

For me, there was no 'use ANA if possible'. It was stated I HAD to use them for as much of the journey as possible. This created a major hassle to get reasonable connecting flights, but I did.

I offered to make my own way on my current airline, at no cost to ANA. Immediately denied... reason given was they have too many no shows that way, and by spending my $$ to buying a ticket I show commitment. True story!

You are correct Fratemate, that 'all they are asking is you book your own economy ticket', and if I was in OZ or west coast USA it would be a simple affair, but I'm not and the approval process where by you go through the agency then they ask ANA etc etc is slow, and if your given short notice like I was, be aware they will not give you any leeway.

Keep in mind I followed the process, met all the ticketing requirements etc, yeah it was a pain in the behind but I still got it done, just took 5 days, yet apparently that was not acceptable so what can ya do???

Last edited by yankiwi; 5th Jul 2010 at 09:42.