PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weathercock effect in turns
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2010, 09:21
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is going on and on. Time to get more or less definitive about the original question.

italia458 asked a question. ImbracableCrunk answered it with the usual answer, found in most aerodynamics texts. italia458 wants to doubt it, in favor of some effect due to the elevator, he suggests.

Since no one seems to have taken up PA's suggestion to look at Hurt, here is an on-line aero reference for people taking up flying in T-34C's: https://www.netc.navy.mil/nascweb/ap...COM-SG-111.pdf

Let me quote from the section on "Stability". On p7 of this section one will find statements concerning the effect of the vertical stabiliser during a roll.
A sideslip causes the vertical stabilizer to experience an increased angle of attack. This creates a horizontal lifting force on the stabilizer
that is multiplied by the moment arm distance to the airplane’s CG (Figure 1-9-18). The moment created will swing the nose of the airplane back into the relative wind. This is identical to the way a weather-vane stays oriented into the wind.
I don't have Hurt to hand, but I do have Shevell (more "middlebrow" to Hurt's "lowbrow" take):
Originally Posted by Shevell, p306
A roll to the right.... inclines the lift vector to the right.... The lateral component of the lift vector accelerates the airplane toward the right. The sideways velocity adds to the forward velocity to produce an angle of yaw between the airplane centerline and the effective oncoming velocity.
To complete the thought, consider: what influence does a vertical fin have vis-a-vis yaw? What influence does the elevator have? To those who may find it difficult to answer these questions, let me again quote Shevell:
Originally Posted by Shevell, p299
Longitudinal motions occur in the plane of symmetry, which remains in its original position. Lateral motions, such as rolling, yawing, and sideslipping, displace the plane of symmetry. The technical significance of this distinction is that for normal symmetrical aircraft with small displacements these two types of motion are independent of each other.
That should settle the original question. Please.

It doesn't settle the question, which I raised, of what happens with tailless airplanes such as flexwing microlights.

PBL

Last edited by PBL; 5th Jul 2010 at 09:24. Reason: formatting and typos