PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help focus the cuts on the right areas
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2010, 11:58
Biggus

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
Roland,

On the few occassions when CAS hosts VIPs then either an RAF chef comes along for the day to do the cooking, or the "entertaining" is done in a mess somewhere, etc. Rather than employ a chef 365 days a year for the few (becoming fewer as we reduce costs?) time he "entertains". Maybe VIPs need to learn to be "entertained" a bit less in these (globally) more austere times?

As for the Sunday express article. Lossiemouth is already a fast jet base, is due to recieve JSF when we get it into service, has HAS facilities, etc. Kinloss is a multi engine aircraft base, with no current aircraft, and due to recieve a total of 9! More importantly, Kinloss has a geese problem that directly effects aircraft operations, are you going to put a single engine aircraft into a base with a bird problem? So, as you seem to suggest, perhaps they have got Kinloss and Lossiemouth the wrong way around.

I had heard that Leuchars was the most logical to go. Land in a good location for housing viz Dundee and Edinburgh, with a railway station. I heard that a lot of money would need to be spend on Leuchars to make it suitable for Typhoon, but it hasn't been spent yet. Close Leuchars, sell the land, move Typhoons to Lossie for northern Q, approx 100nm nearer the bad guys, and reduce the GR4 fleet by a couple of Sqns (Lossie ones) to save money and make way for Typhoon.......

Seems logical to me, but no doubt it won't happen, and one of the Moray bases will close on the basis that the area already has 2 bases, so taking one away won't have such a massive impact as closing the only base in one area!