PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPPL vs PPL advice please
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2010, 10:37
tow1709

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sending solo with NPPL medical ticket

BEagle wrote:

...Ex 14B solo...to leave the circuit, fly some general handling in the local area, then rejoin the circuit?
Yes, that was the plan. I am going to query this with the CFI tomorrow. I think my instructor has misunderstood something - I don't see why I require a check ride with an examiner prior to some 14B just because I only have an NPPL medical ticket rather than a class 2.
...flown before the qualifying cross-country - and you certainly weren't about to fly that!
Correct

After completing Ex14B, you should be learning steep turns and PFLs before starting on pilot navigation, incidentally.
I have had training in both the above and spiral dive recovery too - we did some more yesterday. In fact very early on in my training, about fourth or fifth lesson, an instructor who was standing in for my then regular one had me doing PFL's before I had ever done a real "ordinary" landing by myself. I thought it was a bit odd at the time, but I coped all right, and now PFL's don't particularly worry me, although like everyone else I hope I never have to do it for real!