PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2010, 10:25
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GreatBear ..

In your recent chart (Post #1670), the area labeled "Initial aerial grid search 01 June 2009" begins at the LKP, not at the Ultimo Reporte location used by the FAB and referenced in their Note 16. Their search seems to have proceeded "noroeste" from the Ultimo Reporte location, not from the LKP.
I have very little faith in the validity of the information attributed to the Brazilian Military's media arm. Most of what I have come across doesn't come close to being verifiable. The information on which I based the aerial searches shown in my earlier graphic has been extracted from a screen shot taken in the Rescue Co-ordination Center at Recife, and it is reproduced below with a few identifying points added. The FAB were basing their search on the LKP and not the Ultimo Reporte position used by their media people.

The areas searched from 03 June 2009 were those to the south, and were a result of some miscellaneous debris and an oil slick being found. In other words the FAB headed off on a tangent and it wasn't until surface vessels arrived that the southern site could be excluded.

mm43