PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel Air vs RFDS for the Air Ambulance contract in Australia
Old 4th Jul 2010, 03:56
morno

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
Bushy,
Whilst I respect your opinion, I can't help but gather that you're basically saying one of two things:

1) RFDS should stick to have very minimal bases, doing very minimal work, and not getting with the times.

or

2) RFDS should no longer be a non-profit organisation and try and make money off everything they do, become a public company and piss off everyone and then fold because no one will want their services because they charge like wounded bulls. After all, 1st class products and 1st class safety cost money.

Both sound just as stupid as each other.

RFDS has proven itself as a leader in innovation throughout it's 82 year history. Why can they not expand on the services they offer, to all parts of Australia? Should it be only for the far flung parts of Australia?

The whole Pel-Air vs RFDS for the Victorian Air Ambulance contract has 2 sides. One is the side that supports RFDS entirely and believe they're the only one's who can do it.

The other is a side which see's this as the start of huge problems in Australian Aeromedical operations. Why? Commercial operators, fighting for these contracts. Take a look at the American aeromedical scene, and the amount of fatalities that occurr over there because of it, and you'll see what I mean.

RFDS has it flaws, that can't be denied. But why is a 1st class operation (in safety and the way the crews operate) run by an organisation who has done nothing BUT aeromedical operations, for the last 82 years, being knocked down by an organisation who has next to no experience in this type of operation? And why are people suggesting RFDS should not be getting involved in these types of contracts?

morno