PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA crew fed up with JFK ATC - declares emergency.
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 19:55
4runner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

You Brits and your airmen phraseology...Sometimes I think it's just another excuse for snobbery or to scold your cousins across the pond. If someone bought me a beer for every time I've had to "translate" for Speedbird and xxx control here in the Dark Continent, I'd be wasted until next year. We signed up for ICAO huh? Well, if I had a beer for every time I've been nervous as my SA wasn't where I like it due to ATC in French I'd be wasted until 2020. This is occurring in ICAO countries BTW. Big ICAO countries. In the US, the controllers will ask if "Are you declaring an emergency?". I had a few Brit ATP students a few years back who were, and I quote, "appalled" that a class D airport had an uncontrolled ramp at a 4 plane flight school and that an airport with a 9000 ft. runway did not have an operating control tower and were scared to go anywhere near the place. The British CAA, heard from a few English buddies that it should stand for, Can't Aviate Anywhere. There sure are alot of you guys filling up the skies in Florida though. Calm down fellas, this is how we do things.