PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 747 Crew commended
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 18:18
Airclues

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maximum thrust can be obtained by either a double press of the TOGA switches, or pushing the thrust levers forward, although in the latter case one must also disconnect the autothrottle or they will roll back when you release them.

The EEC calculates the maximum thrust, taking into account the maximum EPR, EGT, N1, N2 and N3, together with the ambient conditions.

The engines are operating very close to their maximum rating out of JNB and there is very little more available. It looks as though the thrust was increased at 18:36:51 to what is probably the maximum available, although the thrust increase would have been small.

The crew were faced with an unknown problem which had not been anticipated by the manufacturer and for which there was no QRH item or procedure. It was only the handling skills of the F/O, together with the support of the captain that saved this aircraft.

I don't know the F/O but I have observed the captain for many hours on the simulator. I always came away from our sim sessions wishing that I had half of his ability.

Dave

Last edited by Airclues; 3rd Jul 2010 at 19:22. Reason: change 19 to 18