PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF NCA to AAC Pilot
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 17:38
WannabeCrewman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF NCA to Pilot - how does the system work

Evening gents, considering the wealth of knowledge on here, figured it was worth asking;

EDIT - I am not planning to go for Pilot, I am merely trying to find out how things work, as I have heard several things from several people and wanted to gain some clarity in the matter. Please do not take this post as me considering NCA as second best, or that it is "the easier option" - this is not the case, the purpose is so I can better understand things, as I am somewhat confused at the moment.

Last March I attended the RAF Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre at RAF Cranwell, applying for both Pilot and NCO Aircrew trades. Having passed all the required aptitude, problem solving, leadership and interview stages, I was found medically unfit on anthroprogenic grounds for Pilot; measurements showed my legs to be 14mm too long for bang seats.

However, aside of my femur length, the rest of my medical was fine, and I was offered NCA. I have accepted this offer, with training beginning in January 2011. However, having spoken to several people, I have been told that should I still wish to persue the Pilot trade in later years, I should consider applying to the AAC, as either an NCO transferring from the RAF (as I understand some of the AAC pilots are NCOs), or to apply for a Commission. The other option I have been told is to apply to the FAA or appeal against the RAF Medical Board decision, citing a request to go specifically down the ME/RW route - although this sounds incredibly unlikely.

Are you able to offer any advice as to what I should do should I wish to apply to the AAC in the future, whilst still as RAF NCA and whether or not the AAC would accept me if my only medical issue was my leg length?

I dont have any problem flying Grobs, they are a bit of a squeeze but I can still fly the thing alright, so one presumbs using EFTS a/c wouldnt be an issue.

Cheers for any advice,
Matt.

Last edited by WannabeCrewman; 4th Jul 2010 at 11:02.