PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line Training Is Destroying The Airline Pilot Industry
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 15:06
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That Guy - are you trolling?

As others have noted, 'line training' is a clearly defined and structured stage of flying training where you fly solely with line training Captains who drills you with the company's SOPs. It only lasts about 100 hours until the Line Check is passed. After that point the 'learning' really begins.

Pay to Fly schemes presumably offer an hours package incorporating 'line training'. The extent and quality of that 'training' is debatable and I have only snippits of inside knowledge. Put it this way, I wouldn't fly as a pax on a budget airline outside Europe or the US.

Of little comfort to those who have an intrinsic dislike of loco operators but the honest truth in my humble experience: the relatively low hour Captains who joined straight from flight school and gained experienced at my airline before being upgraded are generally very good and safe, if a little anal due to the indoctrination.

The best AND worst Captains I fly with at my airline are those who arrived as direct entry Captains. Experience is important but there's no substitute for raw ability and common-sense. Having the hours in the logbook guarantees neither.