PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The next pilot strong pilot hiring cycle - independent study?
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 12:13
stefair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, please, stop whining about the bad rich kids hanging on to P2F schemes. There still is more than one company out there hiring low timers and not asking to go along P2Fs. In fact, it's the huge majority.

UK economy is stuffed indeed for a few years to come but economy in central Europe certainly is not. When I embarked on my journey I checked most airlines' websites for their cockpit crew requirements and when I read most outfits require a high school diploma, preferably even a uni degree, to get interviews it was pretty logic to me to get it. Period. Now when I hear in country x companies are hiring I will consider moving there to learn the language to eventually get a shot. It's simple. Plain simple.

With regards to no flying jobs around the UK. As a non-British citizen I had one freelance job in the UK till early this year, another job offer - both positions unpaid though (I do not consider a sandwich and drink pay) -, two definite job offers on the continent in the GA (no jet, one permament, one temp) and am now in two holding pools with turbo prop operators, both of which are said to be hiring towards the end of this year. One of them pays for the rating, even pays a salary during training. I might have gotten extremely lucky but I think it's not like that. It's hard work and persistence.

Really, I truly do not mean to show off but I will not buy that there are no jobs out there. There are. There always are.

I have had the opportunity now of talking to many other wannabes on screenings/interviews and boy, some of those people are so uncreative when it comes to improving their CV! It is shocking. Some of them sit around two years after flight school without doing jack ****. They are happy with just stacking shelves at supermarkets. I mean no shame in that, but if I cannot fly commercially than I will make sure I get my butt in the air privately on as many occasions as I can. I asked them why they had not joined a gliding club for example, I mean, come on, you want to fly so it's got to be your passion, right? They just stared...

Good luck everyone. Hang in there. Times must get better. Times will get better.