PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ShiftLogic: an effective tool?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2002, 18:01
Cavemonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fallows: I guess you are right.

Having created a Ministry of Rosters with a scheduling tool that allegedly cost the company/taxpayer/shareholders/customers millions (note....not thousands) it would be brave to abandon it.

I've just read the rather damning Transport committee report on NATS finances. NATS management come in for a fair degree of criticism and the shiftlogic example is a further example where (a) projects/systems are procured with dubious benefit to the user/ customer/management and then even worse (b) the blindingly obvious decision to admit it doesn't work - in our environment anyhow - is avoided/delayed whilst employee morale and confidence, never mind professional pride, goes through the floor.

An enormous cost saving could be made by asking the workforce to self-roster the way they used to with managerial monitoring, requisite support and blessing......

Getting back to the question of whether shiftlogic is good or bad, the answer is that it probably isn't suitable for our need due lack of people to roster and it hoovers up admin support employed to correct its foibles. But I believe that those who understand it better than I think it has its merits.