PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line Training Is Destroying The Airline Pilot Industry
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 08:14
covec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would have to hope that the Training Captains have the moral courage to fail someone who, despite their paying power demonstrate that they do not have the aptitude to fly commercially.

If they want to continue to burn money, failing Sim Checks, then great! Money into the Company!

Just keep up the legal, training paper trail to prove that the paying trainee is not up to it should Management come checking. Or is that being naive?

The military operate Operational Conversion Units (OCU) where ab-initios straight from Basic Flight School are inculcated with the ethos of flying operationally - commercially if you like i.e. the flying is no longer priority - now you learn to safely apply practically your knowledge through following mandated procedures in order to achieve an end result. Some do not progress beyong the OCU. They can fly but not apply, if you like.

Which brings me back to my first and second paragraphs.

I retire from the military in 6 years at age 55. I am non-pilot military aircrew but am a practising FI. I have also been an OCU Instructor.

If it appears that buying a Type Rating is the only way forward then I probably will consider it BUT I am under no illusion that I will be slower, that I am paying to be selected and that therefore it will be stressful to the extent that I might give-up, be chopped, not be employed!

I fully accept that gamble BUT I do believe - without conceit - that I have some modicum of safe ability (I have passed the PILAPT twice but eyesight failed me) and I know that my Airmanship is good - my Commercial Instructor and subsequently my IR Examiner commented favourably about that. However, where it might take some youngster 45 minutes to learn something, I know that it will likely take me the full 60 minutes plus I will be last to turn up at the bar due personal revision of the day's events!

Flying is not a game - it can bite. You have to intrinsically know what you are doing. No amount of cash can buy aptitude. Re my paragraph above - if, after fronting up cash for a Type Rating I come to my own conclusion that I cannot hack it then I WILL pull out. I do NOT want to kill anyone just because I have a dream. I just have to hope that other Type Rating payees have the same belief.

However, I will target my aircraft type carefully - maybe not even multi-engine, maybe not even a TP! Caravans, Pilatus, Let-410s, C404s, B1900s, JS31/41ss, SD360s, Kings, DHC-6s, BN-2s. I know little about these aircraft at the moment - it may be that they are too difficult to handle for a 55 year old, ex-FI. So be it - I will not try.

End!

Fly Safe, Folks.