PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EMB-145 hydroplanes off rwy in Ottawa...
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 22:53
Love_joy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some 'skiing' time logged on the Barbie too unfortunately.

Before I give my two cents, I am a huge fan of the type - it was a fantastic little aircraft. I'd happily go back to her. That said, I have just heard a noticeably large number of stories of this aircraft aqua and viscous hydroplaning.

One snowy afternoon, after touching down on-speed, and on the marks we managed to consume all of an 11,000ft runway - and a little bit more.

Some factors were against us, the runway was concrete, was NOT grooved, and was also not cleared/deiced full length due to lazy airport management.

When we touched down the viz was low, the light was dim though it was day time, and we simply didnt realise the runway actually had a film of wet slush. At speed, it just liked like concrete as we expected.

Now I grant you that these factors were against us, but several aircraft landed in front of us with no issue. For us, it was an interesting rollout....

The brake system was mentioned earlier, after my incident I trawled the books. There is a 3 second pause following WOW activation before the brakes will bite - this allows the wheels to spin up, and also ignores any unintended brake application at touchdown.

The anti-skid uses an average speed of all 4 main wheels as a datum, deviation from this will command either a reduction or increase in brake effort on that wheel. If the average speed signal is lost (i.e. all 4 wheels lock), the anti-skid will no longer function. You must fully release, and then reapply the brakes. Use of the Emerg/Park brake bypasses anti-skid and can apply full system pressure to the brake units (3000psi), this will lock the wheels - drop the spoilers etc... Lastly, below 10ish kts the anti-skid will not function.