PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I really need an RTC JAR?? Is it worth it??
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 20:58
longtime lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, I have still not got a straight answer out of the CAA as to whether I will need to do an IR rating. I am already an IFR rated pilot on my FAA and CAA Middle Eastern licences, but they have said yes I will, where as another person there will say no I don't!!!
From LASORS 2008 Section E:

IR Conversion Requirements
These arrangements will provide a route to JAR-FCL IR(H) qualification for the following holders of a
current and valid* IR issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1:

ICAO IR (H) holder to JAR-FCL IR (H)

[...]

If during the course the Head of Training is prepared to state in writing that completion of the FULL course is unwarranted and recommends a reduction, PLD will give the recommendation consideration.

[...]

Prior to commencing the flight training specified below, the applicant shall be the holder of [..] a CPL(H) or an ATPL(H) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1. The applicant shall also be the holder of the helicopter type rating used for the IR(H) skill test, or have completed approved type rating training on that type.

[Requirements]

1. Undertake IR theoretical knowledge instruction as determined by the Head of Training of an approved provider and pass all JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at IR level. Applicants who wish to attempt the ATPL(H) examinations must undertake the full 650 hour course of approved theoretical knowledge instruction and pass all JAR-
ATPL(H) examinations.

2. Complete a minimum of 15 hours instrument flight under instruction (including 170A Flight Test) of which 5 hours may be in a FNPT I, or 10 hours in a FNPT II or Flight Simulator.

[...]

5. Additional IR training as considered necessary by the Head of Training of an approved FTO.

6. Pass the JAR IR (H) Skill Test.

Notes

[...]

c. Holder of an ATPL(H) with IR issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 who meets the 1000 hours flying experience requirements on multi-pilot helicopters as PIC or co-pilot of Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 2.015 may be exempted from the requirements to undergo approved IR training prior to undertaking the theoretical knowledge examinations and the skill test, if that licence contains a valid multi-pilot type rating with IR(H) privileges for the helicopter to be used for the ATPL (H) skill test in accordance with JAR-FCL 2.295.
If using the latter exemption, the issue may be getting a 412 or 139 for the test (unless you have other IR types on your ATPL). Standards Document 31 may help with some names and addresses of training organizations and the types they use. Another option is look elsewhere in Europe.

Hope that helps

Last edited by longtime lurker; 3rd Jul 2010 at 10:11. Reason: More information