PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 19:23
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't think it's anything sinister LTF

I see the offer to non-union crew as being BF's way of saying thanks for working. Non-union staff are normally bound by whatever decision is agreed by the bargaining group. To me this rather firmly indicates that if Unite reject this final offer, there will be no other one made. Now that would be grossly unfair to all the non-union staff who a) will have worked normally and b) not be in a position to negotiate seperately.

Unite may wail that this is being divisive, but the days of the closed shop are long gone. It remains to be seen whether Unite members see this as BA management dividing the bargaining group into two seperate elements - Unite members and the rest. If Unite membership amongst cabin crew is waning ths could signal that BA is heading for dropping recognition of Unite as representing the bargaining group, or it could be a way of offering non-union staff a seat in negotiations. Either way it suggests that Unite's influence within cabin crew may be limited.

I thought that Bill's note to staff indicated that union members should lobby their leadership for a ballot on the matter, as opposed to letting the 'negotiating' team make the decision for them. I'm guessing that Bill reckons there is a majoity that would accept BA's offer hence the reason behond this strategy. It has the advantage of forcing the Unie leadership into holding a consultative ballot that must be seen to be free and fair. It also, coincidentally puts the chance of a strike back into September - i.e. after the school holidays, thereby protecting the revenue over the summer. Oh and when does New Fleet come on stream ??