PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I really need an RTC JAR?? Is it worth it??
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 14:54
lotusmutus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Do I really need an RTC JAR?? Is it worth it??

Hi all, so I have been doing some research into pros and cons of getting a UK/European JAR. I have an FAA ATPL and also have an ATPL from a Middle Eastern country where I am currently. At 3800 hours and being a Commander flying 412's and 139's, I have come to the crossroads and am looking into doing my JAR.
Having sat down and worked it out, I am wondering if it is at all worth it. I don't mind getting down and dirty with the writtens, and the medical should be a breeze, but financially, I really don't know if it's worth it. There are many JAR guys who have what I have, and more, yet still come to our company from JARland. There are a lot of really cool guys and am good friends with alot of them. A lot have left the UK/Europe due to conditions, work hours, free time, pay, lack of jobs and many other reasons. Fair play. But if there are no jobs to go to in the UK, and judging by recent police cutting back their helis,and other companies making cuts,and at this time in the UK economy, is there any point??
Also, I have still not got a straight answer out of the CAA as to whether I will need to do an IR rating. I am already an IFR rated pilot on my FAA and CAA Middle Eastern licences, but they have said yes I will, where as another person there will say no I don't!!! Typical. That's possibly a 40 grand uncertainty!!
The pay out here is great with no tax, and after tax in UK would still be pretty good. I guess it really is a personal choice but just wanted to get some views. Anyones input would be greatly appreciated, especially those who have gone through this process.Cheers