PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Babblespeak, the endless checklist
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 13:43
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
While on a flying instructors course we flew the first Winjeels delivered to RAAF Central Flying School at East Sale circa 1955. The RAAF taught a standard before take off check at CFS that basically covered all RAAF aircraft from Wirraways to Mustangs. Bits were added or subtracted here and there depending on the type. The standard RAAF before take off check started with Harness, Hatches, Hydraulics.

Apart from these generic before take off items which were learned by heart, all other items were in a left to right general sequence. Of course there were no written checklists in the aircraft in those days - it was all up there in your head.

40 plus years on I happened to see a privately owned civil registered Winjeel at Point Cook and looked into the cockpit for old times sake. I was astonished to see the owner had one of these pilot shop roller-blind checklists attached the coaming.

Glancing over my shoulder to ensure the owner wasn't around to snarl "Piss Orf", I scrolled through this beautiful carefully typed work of art guaranteed to warm the cockles of the most cold blooded CASA FOI. The first item and underlined in red as a "Killer" item was "GOODAY!

I scrolled and scrolled and scrolled until I came to the end of 147 items of challenge and response by the single pilot. And all that nonsense for a simple ab-initio trainer designed to replace the Tiger Moth....

PS. I forgot to add I saw the owner fly his Winjeel some time later. He was all dressed for combat with bone-dome, dark vizor, green flying suit, fur lined flying boots (looked like sophisticated UGH boots), white chamois flying gloves and a survival knife tucked into a flying boot. He was off to do a few touch and go's..

Last edited by Centaurus; 2nd Jul 2010 at 14:13.