PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 12:52
yankiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'll be the first then to tell a story of being cheated out of the ticket cost.

I had my interview canceled less than 24 hours before I was due to fly to Japan, reason given was failure to follow the rules of booking the ticket. The story is a bit long and complicated, but here it is in a nutshell.

The process they use, where you must find your own ticket then get it approved by ANA, does not work well with online ticket vendors that generally offer the best prices, it takes too long. I found a suitable ticket, had it approved, which took several days, then went to book it after approval only to find it was no longer available. Back and forward with the agency for 5 days discussing other options, including having an ANA ticketing office start looking for flights, all the time I kept checking the online site for my original ticket. It comes back as available, so I book it and notify the agency, they are happy. All sorted then right?? No. Over the next week or so ANA decide I have not followed the rules and booked a non approved ticket, which is not the case, I just booked it 5 days after it was approved. Interview canceled less than 24 hours prior to departure. No discussion on the topic from ANA, even when presented with documentation showing it has been handled as per their rules. End result, I'm left with a useless ticket and out the $$$. Received a 'tough luck' initial response from the agency, with a statement that the airline is very picky about the details and sometimes makes strange decisions. Went further up the ladder and received an apology of sorts from an agency rep, but no $$.

So be careful.

Some factors that made my situation harder were a lack of flights between my departure city and Tokyo that met their requirement to use ANA for part of the trip. This gave me very few options to get there. Frustratingly my current employer flies direct, and I could go in F class for cheap, but had to buy an economy ticket with an inconvenient layover in China to meet their ticket requirements... Lesson learned, my first and last experience with putting up my hard earned money for a job opportunity.