PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 30th Jul 2002, 15:32
CRAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for bringing my thread back to life folks!

If I may I would like to steer the thread a little...

What I was trying to get at was what people want from a training helicopter. Chewing over the differences between the R22 and the S300C is very very interesting indeed & useful but what i'm intrigued to know is this...

Which out of the two following configurations is more appealing, i.e. which one would you buy!

R22 SIZE machine with similar MTOW limits and a small increase in speed and range, but a SIGNIFICANT drop in DOC of approximately 50%. The compramise here is the machine would still have a lowish inertia rotor system and crash protection would be marginal. Rotor system is still a teeter hub.

OR......

A S300C SIZE machine with a cruise speed of 130kts (Vne 150kts), range of 400nm, ablity to carry 2 big guys, full fuel and bags. High degree of crashworthiness, 3-bladed articulated hub, fenestron tail-rotor and very nice handling qualities. DOC's are 10-20% lower than that of an R22.

Both machines are significantly better looking than the R22 and cost £120-140K (UK Pounds Sterling).

SO.....where do the worlds pilots and operators want the line to be drawn...........DIRT CHEAP-----or-------PERFORMANCE & SAFETY?

I look forward to hearing your feedback.
CRAN