PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Babblespeak, the endless checklist
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 06:31
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Absolutely agree that the Boeing checklist is an example of how ALL complex aircraft checklists could or should be. The good thing is that it is Boeing themselves who created this, so it's hard to argue against it. Most aircraft will get airbone and return to earth quite safely if they have fuel, are configured correctly, have no warning lights on at takeoff and are kept in trim. I flew F27s in command for over 5000 hours with NO checklist for the pre-start (had to be memorised in a scan sequence or you did not get to fly it) and the only printed one (which I made up and had approved) said:

PRE- TAKEOFF
Fuel (pumps on, enough of the stuff? and crossfeed off)
Air (pneumatics needed for brakes and gear)
Water (methanol, needed or not needed?)
Flaps (two usual settings - make sure it's correct)
Trim (being the usual flight control trims plus fuel trimmer)
PRE-LANDING
Gear
Air
Water
Flaps
Trim
The setting of V speeds, checking instruments and briefings etc came under 'airmanship' and so were not formalised in a checklist. Yet I have seen checklists for this same aeroplane that ran to 5 pages.
Of course there were other things to look at and do, but none were likely to kill you and most had lights associated (prop locks etc).
The problem starts with those manufacturers who write detailed blow-by-blow accounts of how to operate every switch, button and lever in their wonderful flying machines. This appears in the Flight Manual or Pilots' Operating Handbook.
In Australia, all operator checklists must be approved by CASA. If an operator has the right argument, can show 'equivalent safety' etc and is working with a practical Inspector, a lot of what's in the AFM or POH can be detailed in a SOP somewhere and then an abbreviated checklist MAY get the official nod. The problem arises if the regulator is in ass-cover mode and insists on the AFM detail being included in the checklist. And is compounded when management pilots add their own stuff in because they feel a need to pitch it at the lowest common denominator (often themselves).

Why do so many operators of fixed-gear single-engine aircraft use such detailed checklists? It seems to be the 'in-thing' now. I don't recall learning to fly with a checklist. Even on light twins we got away with memonics and scans and I bet there were no more gear-up landings then than now.
For a simple type, other than perhaps before starting engines when it could be good for the lowest common denominator to be reminded to remove the pitot cover, turn on the fuel and apply parking brake, a person of average intellect should be able to do the rest without referring to an instruction manual, which is what these long checklists are.