PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging height in the hold-off
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 05:50
100hours

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judging height in the hold-off

I have been flying for about 180 hours on Cessna 172 mostly and some hours on Piper Archer 181.

I am fairly confident that I land well on most occasions, consistently. The last circuit training flight I did, I tried to concentrate on those final few seconds in the hold-off, just before you touch the runway. I realised that I don't know exactly how high I am from the surface of the runway ... I can "feel" that I should be close, but I never really can tell EXACTLY how high I am and whether a touchdown is going to be a greaser or whether I am still going to be 1 foot or so above the runway when it stalls (lands).

So, I am curious. How many pilots (light aircraft) can tell EXACTLY how high they are from the runway surface those final moments before touchdown, or is it really a "feel" thing, like with me most of the time ?

And yes, I have been tought to look ahead of the aircraft, slightly to the left, to the point down the runway where it appears to be stationary. I still can never tell exactly how high I am, except for anticipating and "feeling" when it feels that I am about to touch down.