PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ntams - 64 Years
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 03:57
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Many of the ex TAA Series 200 and 300 Twin Otters were sold to Talair and operated in PNG, the Pacific, Asia and Australia. I'm sure I remember VH-TGF but don't specifically recall VH-TGG. 'Chimbu Warrior' may remember?

I came across C402 VH-ROX a number of times in Australia, including in recent years. For some reason the registration sticks in my mind. May be wrong but I think it was originally a demonstrator and operated by Rex Aviation?

DHA-84 Dragon, VH-ASK was the second Australian built Dragon. Ex RAAF A34-13, VH-ASK appears to be the very first NTAMS aircraft and still exists today:
After being flown for test and performance purposes it was delivered 12/10/42 and on 02/43 to No. 6 Communications Flight ("Fenton's Flying Freighters") at Batchelor, NT. from where it flew about 700 hours. At about the end of the war it was overhauled by de Havilland at Mascot then was in storage at Evans Head when it was asked for to be the first aircraft for the Northern Territory Aerial Medical Service, being set up in Darwin by Jack Slade, who had operated it in 6 Comm. flt., for the Commonwealth Department of Health. Sold 24/05/46. It was converted to aerial ambulance configuration by de Havilland at Sydney in June - August 1946 and registered VH-ASK. It continued with NTAMS until replaced by a Drover on 4-1-1954. When sold by Dept of Health became VH-SNB. Mid-1950's flown in NSW in commercial category by owner/pilot Perry, then purchased by Rev. Les Nixon of Outback Patrol in July 1961 (in private category in passenger configuration) at Bankstown, and flown around 3000 hours in 14 years for mission work, inc. seven 3-month circumnavigations of the continent via Longreach, Mt. Isa, Darwin, Derby, Carnarvon, Perth, Albany, Esperance, Eucla, Ceduna, Adelaide, Moorabin and Bankstown. Several Bass Straight crossings to Tasmania and back. Sold from Camden to Baron William Roberts April 1974 for the Strathalan/Perth/Auchterauder Collection, UK, then acquired by the Museum of Flight, East Fortune, Scotland, on 14/07/81, and presently identified as VH-SNB, and occupies a place of renown in SNB livery located next to a Concorde.

DHA-84 Dragon, VH-ASL ex RAAF A34-31:
Delivered 14/12/42. Sold 14/06/46 and became VH-ASL. A34-31 was brought down from Darwin 14-8-1946 and, like A34-13, converted by DH. It was registered VH-ASL, returning to Darwin for the NTAMS on 5-9-1946. It operated from Darwin until transferred to Alice Springs from 1-1-1952 where it operated until replaced by Drover in January 1953, returning to Darwin until retired from NTAMS 27-7-1955. On 19-11-56 it was reregistered VH-SJW.
Courtesy of adf-serials.com.

As VH-ASL

VH-ASL as later VH-SJW, after an altercation with a fence in Queensland. It crashed and burned 15 August 1957 near Mount Douglas, Bullawallah Qld.

Courtesy of edcoatescollection.com

Miles Gemini VH-BLN:

Archerfield mid 1960s.

Interesting..........

Last edited by Torres; 2nd Jul 2010 at 04:27.