PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French ATC
Thread: French ATC
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2010, 23:23
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can’t believe all the hoop la about the French ATC system and the use of French on the airways.

For the record I am Canadian and yes my primary language is French although I consider myself perfectly bilingual because my parents raised us that way (French and English).

I flew based out of Paris (Orly) for almost 3 years back in the late 80s and early 90s. I have been flying worldwide since. I often fly in Europe and I have NEVER encountered problems with the French ATC system or the use of French on the airways.

I just came back from a 5 day trip to France and was handled by Brest, Bordeaux, Marseille and Paris. All were very professional and courteous. Our requests for deviations around weather, climbs, descents and even direct routing to cut corners and save time were generally accepted in a prompt matter.

Yes I do speak French to the French controllers in France as I do in Montreal and the Ottawa ATC sectors here in Canada. Although most professional pilots speak good enough English to communicate properly with ATC some of the amateur pilots flying in both eastern Canada and I suspect in France (and other countries) do not have a proper command of the English language to communicate properly with ATC. This would also apply in Germany, Italy, Spain and so on.

I would much rather have them speak in French to ATC than have them enter some restricted airspace like a control zone around a major airport without communicating with the tower (because they would be unable to do so in english) in others words sneak in and out of the zone in a “NORDO” type scenario like they use to do before French was available to them in some sectors of Canada. Believe me this is a lot safer to all concerned.

Finalement, mes salutations aux cousins français!

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by Jet Jockey A4; 2nd Jul 2010 at 11:27.