PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 1st Jul 2010, 21:32
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is getting tedious...

we seem to have been sucked in to attempting to reason with an individual who, for their own reasons, chooses not to see the total folly of their actions and who is casting around for someone, anyone but themselves to blame for the consequences. There comes a point when one has to accept that they are beyond helping and that the best option is to leave them in their little bubble. It really is not worth expending the energy and effort in rehashing the arguements as the oucome is known before you draw breath. Ava. I wish you well, but frankly, it isn't worth anyone on here expending any more time or effort on putting forward the alternative view. You will need to work it yourself.

On a more positive note. I see that Unite (not BASSA) have determined that the management offer will be balloted and the ballot will be conducted by an independant organisation. This is really heartening as I was getting the impression that a concern from the previous consultative ballot was that BASSA would know how each member had voted. Given the reports that BASSA hardliners would wish to see any members who voted in favour of accepting the management offer ejected from the union, calling in an independant body to conduct the ballot would seem to prevent this occurring. Maybe members will be able to vote based on personal bleief as opposed to fear. Such a course of action by Unite is not without risk. There is a possibility that the vote might be to accept the management offer. In which case the prospect of pursuing the return of staff travel other than as put forward by BA to Brendan Barber and the concerns over disciplinaries get kicked into the long grass. Based on the last strike ballot, only 63% of the membership actually voted for strike action. When it came to who went on strike, the most optimistic figure from Unite would be about 50% of cabin crew. The low is about 30%. So a vote to accept the offer is well within the realms of possibility.

What happens if the vote is to reject the offer ? Noting that it is labeled as a Final offer, and that BA have stated that it will be withdrawn if Unite then ballot for strike action I would expect the following.

I think BA management would increase the rate of recruitment to New Fleet. I also think they would look very closely at the reasons stated on any ballot for strike action. If Unite stick with the current form of words, I think BA will issue a final warning that they consider this to be a continuation of the previous ballot and not new issues and point out that this has consequences. If Unite still ballot and get a majority by selective balloting, I would expect BA to wait for staff to walk out in ay strike dates chosen. I would then anticipate that they would sack strikers. I think the will hang fire on suing Unite for damages as it is not in the company's interest to trash a union which represents a substantial proportion of its workforce outsode of crew. Nonetheless, I think that Unite will be left under no illusions that they have got off lightly. It will then be up to the sacked individuals to seek to demonstrate in a tribunal that their dismissal was unfair. It remains to be seen whether the union will wish to pick up the legal costs for representing their members. Somehow, I doubt that they will. The alternate scenario is that in the event that BA crew reject the management offer, Unite may have a showdown with BASSA. The deal could be - if you want to ballot on the same issues, you are on your own and no longer part of Unite.

Whatever happens, BA will run a 100% longhaul programme and would be well on the way to running a 100% shorthaul one too.