PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some of the Few
Thread: Some of the Few
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2010, 12:55
waco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Vertico

Am presently doing my homework, am halfway through Martin Middlebrook's "First day on the Somme". It is very hard to take it all in really. After that it's on to the the After the Battle book on the Somme.

Our new Doctor's surgery has been named "The Accrington Pals" and has a useful history with photographs posted inside.

If you get a chance try and listen to Mike Hardings recording "The Accrington pals" I think you can listen to it on you tube.

As I said before, I doubt very, very much if I could have made it up the ladder and gone over the top. It is our job however to never forget that they did and make sure that message is passed on to the future generations.

Thanks ever so much for your excellent tips. I will post a report on my return hopefully with photo's.

I'm very much looking forward to it. Normally I spend what spare time I can manage crawling around the the 1,4,5 & 6 group Bomber Command airfields.

I have the planned visit to the Somme down on my list of things to do. After that it's save like crazy and lots of car boots to some how find the money and get to Canada for a trip on the CWH Lancaster !

I'm really lucky where I live, I have a great view down the valley into Accrington. I often stand looking down the valley and think of the lads who went over the top.......what would they think of us now I wonder....Have we let them down ???