PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Engine Ops: Who's Responsibility?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2010, 12:08
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coconutty: The Dyfed Powys helo ran out of fuel because of pilot error, on Christmas Day 2001. He mis read the FRC's. No mechanical issues.

I have flown 3000hrs on Gazelles in my time. Probably approximates to 2500 -3000 flights in one. Not one power failure. In fact up until then there was not one recorded engine failure of a gazelle in the military until CB had one on finals to Predannack! I have flown approx 4000hrs in twins and I have experienced half a dozen 'forced landings' because of the complexities of flying twins.

Statistically the odds of a SEH experiencing total power loss are something like 14,000,000 : 1.
I have to say (apart from some helos requiring 2 engines to carry all the weight around), I suspect the 1 engine Vs 2 engine argument is all about perceived theoretical permutations and that 'pucker factor' flying over hostile terrain on 1 engine.
People can't grasp the odds. You would have to fly every day for 112 years before you died in a plane crash - yet thousands of people will never fly through fear of flying.
Interesting topic of conversation.