PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Important points to be considered by a Student joining a canadian flight school
Old 1st Jul 2010, 05:25
lastdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget that instructors might be difficult to find for the week around Christmas.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cold wx - you'll figure it out soon enough once you get here. If it's a little too overwhelming, you can always run inside to warm up. The nice thing is that it is usually sunny when it is cold. Long underwear is useful, as is a pair of thin gloves. (they'll give you some protection, but not compromise your sense of touch. I once tried to fuel up my plane without using gloves. Three or four minutes of bare fingertips on the fuel nozzle left me with three slightly frostbitten fingers. Gloves would have prevented that.)

My inclination would be to go to Steinbach first. Why? The first few lessons can be overwhelming - all sorts of things are getting thrown at you. If you simplify it a little by going to a place where there's no ATC, then that's one less thing to deal with right off the bat. Give it 10-15 hours (solo done?) and then move up to St.A. BY that time, controlling the a/c should be coming along well, and you'll be able to devote more brain power to the radio comm.

Treat your training like it is a job (that's what you want it to become, right?) Show up on time with your homework done (read the upcoming lesson plan) and ready to go. You might have a few questions for your instructor - ASK THEM! There are no silly questions. If it is unclear what is expected of you, or what you are doing, you are wasting your time and money by continuing without clarification. I'd try to get into a rhythm of a few days on, and then one off, and so on. You can consolidate your book learning on a day off, and take a mental break..

Somewhere along the way you'll have to do a 300NM x-c flight for your CPL. DON'T just do the minimum 300nm. This is the only time in your career that you'll have your own aeroplane with no-one telling you where and when to go. Take the plane for a week, and head out to the west coast, or down into the USA, or further east in Canada. You'll learn more in a day than you will in a month of the same practice area around Winnipeg..
Thanks NS...

I certainly do understand the importance of asking when in doubt. I have been an instructor myself (IT field). So certainly i wont assume anything, Make sure im well prepared prior to any classroom training.

I did ponder over the thought of selecting STBACH first and then moving onto St. Andrews. But sent across my application a day before yesterday.

This certainly makes sense, that having less load initially can give me some time to handle the airplane. Lets see how it unfolds......

Also,

Can a student pilot in Canada fly into US? I thought that as an expat student, i would have to get myself a US student VISA...

Im really looking forward to visiting Canada. And most importantly get back to good ol school days!!

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. I really appreciate.

- LD