PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2010, 01:47
Jimmy Recard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Selection Process

Hi Guys,

Just finished reading this thread (only took about three days ) and thought I would post my experience of the application process so far. I’m applying for DEO RAAF or RAN pilot (originally Army as well but I’m 191cm tall so was of course notified that I’m now above the maximum sitting height). Like a few here my file has been sent off to PSA in the last few weeks so will hopefully get a call for one of the August/October courses. Interesting to see quite a few older guys on here going through the application process; I’m 27 in August and thought I would be one of the older applicants, but now I’m feeling quite sprightly!

My experience with DFR sounds pretty similar to many here and the best advice I can give to others applying is the same as BlackBird a few pages back. Be proactive about your application; keep calling/emailing them to find out what’s happening etc. I originally applied September 2009 and if I hadn’t been in constant contact (particularly with the medical section) I would be months behind where I am now. At one point they told me I had provided all required information and that my file would be sent to PSA within a few days. I rang a month or so later and they told me they were still waiting for me to supply information regarding an issue that had not been mentioned for months. This sort of thing has been commonplace throughout my application process.

In relation to the initial aptitude testing and interviews just about everything you need to know is in this thread somewhere. One thing I’ve seen mentioned that applied to me – make sure you brush up on your high school (and I mean down to Year 10 level) maths. I have done advanced maths at uni and some pretty heavy calculus etc. and I couldn’t remember SOH-CAH-TOA because I haven’t done any trig for nearly 10 years.

I’ve got a couple of flying lessons booked for this weekend and looking to do maybe between 5-10 hours prior to Flight Screening. I know this has been discussed previously but just wondering what others think of getting some lessons / how many hours they have (or had) etc., especially those who have just been to FSP or looking to go soon. It seems like a good idea to me to have at least some command of the controls before going to Tamworth even though the flying component is scored on learning ability. My uncle is an ex-Army pilot and he suggested I not have too many lessons as “there is only one way to fly in the military and that is their way”, so i figure 5-10 might be about right. Anyway it will be the first time I’ve flown anything so really looking forward to it!

Apologies for the essay… Would love to hear if anyone gets into the upcoming DEO FSP courses and I’ll do the same – I’m guessing we won’t hear anything for another few weeks though.

Cheers,

Jimmy