PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some of the Few
Thread: Some of the Few
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2010, 22:49
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is some hope.

Although I didn't see mrmrsmith's deleted post, I take it he had made remarks that suggest gravestones have no interest or value? Or perhaps it was simply talking about them that had no interest - no matter.

I am a Scout Leader in south west London and my ten to fifteen year olds are a cross section of our area. The only event we insist our Scouts attend is the Remembrance Ceremony at our local war memorial and, to be fair, a majority of them turn out. The first time they turn out because we have asked them - they turn out in subsequent years because of something else.

Last January a couple of my fellow Leaders and I, took our four Patrol Leaders - all coming up fourteen and a half at the time - to the area around Ieper (Ypres) to visit various first war locations. That evening they jointly laid a wreath, on behalf of our Group, during the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate. I have to say I was very proud of my little gang - freezing in their thin uniforms behind big, strong, roughty-toughty soldiers - who had spent the entire day awed, respectful and even a little tearful at times. We plan to take their successors in October.

They too will remember them.

Roger.