PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Young Enthusiasts & Work Experience
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2010, 21:38
Mr Angry from Purley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark
The Airline I work for has about 3-4 work experience guys/girls in every year. Most of them are friends or kids from Staff that work for us. Most are proper work experience as part of their school curiculum (spelling?)
There is no set agenda they go round as many departments and managers / staff as possible. Some will do nothing with them, some will giving them boring filing and some will treat them nicely and thoroughly explain their jobs.
We also arrange an aircraft visit etc. Unfortunately flights are a no-no these days with the security issue's. This is only work a week though - is my understanding of work experience what you're looking for?

If your asking about the best way to get a job i can only offer you what i think

Your long term aspirations is to become a Pilot - best to get into a job where you deal with Pilots - handling agent, Crewing, Operations, Flight Planning etc. Once you decide which area you fancy write to the Handling Manager / Crewing Manager / Operations Manager of as many airlines as you can. Keep an eye out on places such as aviationjobsearch or type in Operations Officer jobs into Google and apply for everything when your 16 (my view is letters are best as if by internet you'll get the standard nfi reply from HR - TIP - Ring the airline and find out the Manager's name). You might have to wait till your 18 so if your not into further education try and get a job at the airport landside. I for one have never had an off spec letter from someone with no experience

Anyway that's my good deed of the day i hope it helps you.
(Mr Angry of Purley was born in Bletchingley so i know Redhill very well)