PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat pilots : Are they really safe for Indian Aviation ?
Old 30th Jun 2010, 09:58
pilotara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear friend,

to answer your first question...do you think a 250 hour total time pilot is safe to fly a A320, B737, 777, A330 etc etc ? Have you thought that alot of the Cpt's (expats and indians) are actually flying SINGLE pilot in adverse wx conditions...very short runways etc etc. Cause I fly with some really really in experience F/O's here in India.
Also in India the phrase ''ground stop'' due to wx does not exist !!! basically, TS and lightning over the field (CCU) and tower allows airplanes to t/o and land despite the fact that alot of us have to actually enter Dhaka airspace to try to come and land in CCU cause even our alternate has the same wx conditions.
I do agree that who ever comes to work as an Cpt, and specially as a TRE/TRI needs to be checked and be propered trained into Indian aviation (specially wx).

Why don't you talk about how many times locals make mistakes...oh i forgot the indian news don't cover that they only mention when a foreigner is operating.
Here is a fact. Jet, Air India they have crew bases in Europe and US and Canada and by the way only expats are based there..you know why ?
Cause few months back FAA was about to downgrade Indian Aviation and put them in the same category as Indonesia. Also the lack of proper use of radio comms is a very very sore subject in India.

Few days back I had an DGCA FID on my jump, telling me how strict they are on selecting pilots (f/o's) and how ''sharp'' the 250-300 hours F/O's behind 757 or 737 etc etc are. So i said, ok, looked my senior F/O (with 1800 hours total time and ready for upgrade) disengaged the autopilot and ask him to hand fly an ILS with the FD on on a visual day with calm winds going to VVZ...

I have flown also with expats and i was really really surprised how the hell did they pass through upgrade training ???

My dear friend Indian Aviation is on the beggining stage and they have along way to go before they can reach a certain standard..alot of potential in India but the wrong MENTALITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You want the expats out...no problem...don't renew the contracts or FATA..DGCA keeps telling that no more expats and more are coming and FATA's being renewed etc etc..why ?????
Why DGCA is asking for help from FAA and JAA (EASA) ? Why top managment in many companies is being run by non Indians (europeans, americans ) ?
Before you start asking if expats are safe for indian aviation ask if Indians are safe also...

Best of luck in your career and i just put my 2 cents and experience from being here 2 years and deceided not to renew my contract even though to this day company really is pushing to stay...I had fun in India made great friends for life but my dear friend the mentality that most of the senior indian captains have is hurting your aviation...new blood with new attitude is needed.