PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar interview in Miami
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2010, 18:58
ForeverYoung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miami Interview

Interview is three phases. Each phase must be passed to advance to the next. In my group 2 failed the written and one the interview.

50 question knowledge exam taken from JAA ATPL subjects. Recommend aviationtire.com for practice tests.

Interview:

HR questions are typical. What do you know about Qatar Airways? Tell us about your career up to this point. Will your family be accompanying you to Qatar? What airplane do you want to fly? What do you bring to Qatar Airways?

Technical questions prefaced by we want to get to know more about you. All questions were of the kind "tell me about a time or describe a situation when..."

Examples: Tell me about a time when you made a decision that was unpopular.
Describe a time when as a member of a team the outcome of the project was disappointing. Describe a time when you had to think on your feet to avoid a difficult situation. Describe a situation where you were not in control and how did you cope with it.

Simulator is the final phase. I can't tell you about that part because I didn't make it past the interview.

A word of advice. If you have a family, it is clear they expect your family to accompany you to Qatar. The interviewer became noticeably agitated when I told him I was planning not to have my my family accompany me, at least initially. He said if we hire you there is a 99.9% chance you will be a first officer on the A320, not the 777, when will you see your family? My answer was they can travel to Qatar from time to time for a visit. They clearly did not like my answers on this line of questioning, especially when I said that persons in the military are often separated from their families for extended periods, so we'll manage.

When I answered this question the interview was clearly over. But from what I read in this forum, why would I subject my family to 30 days a month in Doha when I will only be there for 8? My family should not have to suffer because of where I choose to work.

Mine was an honest answer. His response was quite telling. Clearly they want a captive workforce. That way it will be be impossible for the unhappy pilot to get off the airplane in London with no intention of returning when his family is still in Doha.

Going in I had my doubts about this company.

Last edited by ForeverYoung; 30th Jun 2010 at 13:03. Reason: Clarity