PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 29th Jun 2010, 17:10
Caribbean Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BASSA the bully

Hi Ava,

I think you need to re-examine the belief that repeated bullying of BA will cause BA to cave in. This is what used to happen: BASSA would use its muscle and threaten industrial action and BA would give way. Now, BASSA is faced with a CEO who won't give in. What does BASSA do? Strike. And when it doesn't work? Keep striking.

After five strikes lasting 22 days, effectively a lot more due to the short periods between strikes, BASSA is no nearer to getting its way.

And what is BASSA's solution? Strike again after another ballot.

I am reminded of the Aesop fable "The Wind and the Sun".
The wind and the sun argued one day over which one was the stronger. Spotting a man man travelling on the road, they sported a challenge to see which one could remove the coat from the man's back the quickest.

The wind began. He blew strong gusts of air, so strong that the man could barely walk against them. But the man clutched his coat tight against him. The wind blew harder and longer, and the harder the wind blew, the tighter the man held his coat against him.The wind blew until he was exhausted, but he could not remove the coat from the man's back.

It was now the sun's turn. He gently sent his beams upon the traveller. The sun did very little, but quietly shone upon his head and back until the man became so warm that he took off his coat and headed for the nearest shade tree.
Brute force does not always work. But I'm not suggesting that BASSA should go completely down gentle persuasion route either. What BASSA needs to do is some sensible negotiation and try and get itself and its members out of the mess its in with a degree of dignity. I think some deal on ST could be done with seniority restored after a period of time. That won't be perfect for strikers, but you made the imperfect world you find yourself in.