PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 29th Jun 2010, 15:17
Ava Hannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your problem Ava, is that by striking, you relied on the Bassa statement being true that they could regain ST with seniority. By being effectively unable to work unless you regain ST you are committed to an 'all or nothing' stance. Not a great place to be in when many of even your Bassa supporting colleagues are happy to achieve a solution on the BA proposal (with much tweaking) and are happy to wait for the courts to decide on the reinstatement of staff travel.

You must be worried.
We have not seen the end of the dispute yet. Many will not accept a proposal that doesn't include reinstatement of our staff travel concessions. Some have the time to wait for years until it appears in court but surprisingly many commuters went on strike and they will not give in. We also have a lot of support from non-commuters and we only need a majority to have the proposal declined.

I think I'm being reasonable. Return my staff travel and remove the no strike clause from the current proposal and I might accept it. What makes them think that crew would accept to sign a no strike clause?

This is just Bassa wishful thinking and a simplistic view of the situation. Bassa (and yourself it seems) believe that Willie Walsh is out on a limb on this, alone and isolated from his employees, leadership team colleagues and fellow Board members, and all it takes is for a big yes vote to finally oust him, KW will be the moderate who comes to an agreement (giving in to all Bassa demands0, the company will then continue as before.

It's simply not going to happen.
Willie Walsh is leaving his post shortly anyway. I don't believe that a big yes vote will make him leave any earlier. BASSA say Keith Williams showed to be reasonable in previous negotiations with Unite and they are convinced they could reach a good settlement with him. Reassuring as that might be I think he's a better candidate than Willie Walsh.