PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 29th Jun 2010, 11:41
Ava Hannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad behaviour should not be rewarded but I don't believe in punishing people either for taking industrial action. We are not asking for anything special except that our staff travel should be returned. Many, and myself included, greatly depend on it and it's not fair to say that we never should have participated in the strike as we knew that we would lose it. Should we have accepted a proposal we didn't agree with only to keep our staff travel? I find it morally wrong to punish long serving staff for taking industrial action, which is a democratic right, and especially by a CEO who has only been here for a few years and himself being responsible for severe damage to our brand. Some are also asking for that suspended and dismissed crew should be reinstated. Something which I don't agree with. They have the possibility to appeal and I should assume, and sincerely hope, that they are being treated fairly.

BASSA did not participate in the negotiations on our pension deal but I think Unite could have reached a good deal on our behalf with KW. Probably a deal that would have been satisfactory to BASSA too. BASSA are wanting to make sure that any proposal protects us permanently and that any payment(s) should be included in our basic salary. Without this guarantee, BA will be returning before we know it and rip that payment(s) away.

Why do I think it's a waste of time to vote on this proposal? Because Unite is not recommending and I can sincerely hope that most voters will vote sensibly and not accept it. We can achieve a deal that includes staff travel and hopefully something more than a 'guarantee' from BA.

Nurjio, I am not the only longhaul commuter in this company. What makes you believe that I am not adequately rested prior a duty?