PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 747 Crew commended
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2010, 10:25
ExSp33db1rd

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
that the crew firewalled the engines.
Long time ago now of course, but I don't recall the word " firewall " being an option, if take-off with reduced thrust i.e. Graduated Power was being applied, and more power needed, I recall the command " Go Around Power " being the appropriate call ? G .A. Power being a calculated figure, not just a B***s Out reaction. ( but then we had a Flt. Eng. !! )

Only nit-picking of course, in Extremis I guess the phrase " what the h**l " as the Thrust Levers are in fact firewalled is the way to go !!

Good show chaps.

Didn't we get a green LE flaps extended light added to the forward panel of the Classic 747 following an early accident out of Nairobi, when Lufthansa took off without the L.E. flaps extended ?

If that light wasn't illuminated, then the F/Eng. could interrogate his panel display to ascertain which sections weren't down, and an attempt to lower them manually could be made.

Not suggesting that any crew would have time to do that in a situation like this, but if a L.E. extended light had suddenly extinguished, then it might have given the crew a clue as to what was happening.

Haven't the faintest idea of the display / indications on the - 400, although an EICAS display is mentioned, along with the statement .....

There was no independent indication available to the crew that the applicable group of LE flaps had been retracted by the aircraft system
Is this another example of " progress " ?

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 29th Jun 2010 at 10:46.