PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 29th Jun 2010, 09:39
Ava Hannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the problem. Unite had the mandate to negotiate the pensions deal. Unite agreed on behalf of ALL Unite sub branches. Unite would have completed with BA on the Cabin Crew dispute BUT BASSA WON'T LET THEM. BASSA have stipulated that ST is a necessity. BASSA have stipulated that reinstatement is a necessity, BASSA are the only ones who can call off IA and agree a deal. THEY DON'T WANT TO. Unite, Tony Woodley, Derek Simpson and Len McKlusky are powerless to force them and, from the news and the press realeases, frustrated with their incalcitrant child.
Unite probably would have sold us down the river like they did last time. Tony Woodley has repeatedly mentioned the importance of reinstatement of our staff travel concessions. It's a waste of time to ask us to vote on a proposal which doesn't meet one of the requirements.

ST, as has been discussed many, many times is a perk. You were clearly told it would be removed and it has been. Tough. Not vindictive but symptomatic of your Unions wish to finacially damage the company. Why should you be rewarded for taking ill advised IA when ALL other BA departments realised the dangers and took necessary action. You will get little or no sympathy from the other 35,000 BA employees who live in the real world.
I am not after any sympathy. I am only after what I have earned after having been with BA for such a long time. Sure, BA informed us of what would happen if we went on strike but to punish people for participating in a LAWFUL INDUSTRIAL ACTION is disrespectful, unacceptable and morally wrong.

Why should we change our minds? What benefit does that bring those who choose to back BA? Never going to thank me? No, possibly not but, unlike many of my friends, I still have a job. Not too late to win?
Because you are doing no good to this company, or your own career, by allowing yourself to support a management which is training people to cover a lawful industrial action. What else do they have up their sleeve? Which working group is next on the line?

Whilst you are trying to justify the BASSA position why don't you also inform the rest of us as to how the, according to BASSA, 'nasty, vindictive company' allows you to live on the other side of the globe, maintain rosters that keep your non-dom status, enjoy a cost of living substantially less than that of the UK whilst paying non-domiclie tax which more than makes up for the loss of ST?
Many airlines allow commuting as long as you are responsible and don't let it affect your employment. BA is not the only airline to allow this. If you think commuting from JNB is easy, maybe you should try it.