PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help with ILS Visabiltiy??
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2010, 03:45
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh come on girls! Its not that hard - is it?

I have held an IR for 25 yrs and have flown a few ILS in that time (maybe 25 a year). In that time I have never missed in anger off the minima - OK, so I do live in paradise!

There are many in here who do this stuff for a living every day, in all sorts of crappy weather that I don't need to get out of bed for.

I bring the Bo down the ILS at 120 kts (Let's see ya do that in the Retard Vehicle Jaba and not run off the end of the runway at YBBN!).

Below 300' I am not counting noth'in! I am just looking to plonk it on the runway in one piece or bug out for another go.

I am a simple kind of guy and work in the big picture - not a lawyer who revels in the detail and fine print.

Vis is an issue in any approach but I guess it is maybe more of an issue when you are close to the weeds on an ILS.

Forkair SOPs state that at the minima you must be able identify enough on the ground to fly the aeroplane to safe touch down - or else you bug out. Start of the HIAL (I thought that was the purpose of HIAL ??), lead-in lights, PAPI/VASIS, whatever.

The DA at Townsville puts the HIAL right in front of you - if I could see the start of that it would never have occurred to me that I might not be legal to land.

I would like to hear from a Big Bird pilot - do you "miss" if you can only see the start of the HIAL from the DA?

Dr