PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vmcg/vmca
Thread: Vmcg/vmca
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2010, 00:20
Photon85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well since the airplane is heavier can you say that the increased sideslip has increased in a higher proportion than the aircraft weight?

Obviously oxford aviation training disagrees with you, and JAR regulations disagrees with you.

To be honest, I'm not sure. In the US my instructor thought me the principle of a higher horizontal component of lift because of a higher weight, but you need more force to turn a heavier aircraft anyway, so can you say that it increases in a larger proportion than the weight itself?

The JAA books method of explaining it, saying a higher AoA is needed for higher weight giving a more pronounced p-factor, and by that a longer arm to the live engine to yaw the airplane adversely, is also a good argument, is it not?

To be honest you just reiterated your previous post without taking any of mine into consideration...

To put it like this:

An airplane with mass A and an airplane with mass B both fly at the same airspeed with the same angle of bank, airplane A is heavier.
Airplane A will obviously have a higher force turning the airplane, meaning that since it is heavier, a higher force is generated as horizontal component of lift when turning it.
However. Since rate of turn and radius of turn is only dependent upon TAS and bank angle, they both turn at the same rate, and they both turn in the same radius...

So, can you say that an airplane that is heavier has a helping hand in regards to the 5 degree bank when in proportion they are the same?

I'm leaning towards the JAA theory here
JAR 25.149 Minimum control speed

(See ACJ 25.149)

(a) In establishing the minimum control speeds required by this paragraph, the method used to simulate critical engine failure must represent the most critical mode of powerplant failure with respect to controllability expected in service.

(b) VMC is the calibrated airspeed, at which, when the critical engine is suddenly made inoperative, it is [ possible to maintain control of the aeroplane with that engine still inoperative, and maintain straight flight with an angle of bank of not more than 5º. ]

(c) VMC may not exceed 1·2 VS with -
(4) The maximum sea-level take-off weight

Last edited by Photon85; 29th Jun 2010 at 00:35.