PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2010, 17:19
ARRAKIS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is important that some of you understand that there was no actual need for any readbacks for a successful approach and landing from what I have seen on the CVR.
Just after the crash there was information (Smolensk ATC interview), that such readback was standard procedure/required by Russian ATC and the crew ignored it. This is why I mentioned it. As I wrote before, we had a PAF aircraft in foreign airpace. If there was a readback requirement from the Russian side, they should have done it. And from what I'm learning about the ground equipment, it was unvise not to do so.

ATC can do very little to prevent an approach and landing short of shooting down the a/c or positioning obstacles on the runway.
We already discussed that. My question was "what they should have done by the book". Of course I remember that the Yak-40 crew just ignored a "go around" (probably twice).

'Trial approach' I am sure is a mis-translation. There is really no such thing (except perhaps in a training environment).
This is why I was asking. There is no translation error. On MAK's pages you have
"пробный" заход
. This is an exact quote, including quotation marks.

Arrakis