PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question on forces acting on an aircraft in climb
Old 28th Jun 2010, 15:08
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what i find interesting is why PBL implied that you might feel heavier if the earth spun faster, opposite to what i would think a normal mind would think. even more surprising is that many high school students think that if the world stopped spinning, gravity would be 0G.

I actually want to renew my dis-agreement with Checkboard and Captain Pit Bull on this point
You are quite confused!.. regarding that quote and what you said after. Does this clear it up: gravity is not a force, it is an acceleration, 9.8m/s2.

Thanks for biting! I'm not -yet- saying what I think the answer is, because I don't want to spoil...blah blah blah
Just come out clean to what you think it is!

I'm saying it is wrong to say "Force causes a mass to accelerate".
wiz... suppose you are standing still and i run up and crash right into you. im applying a force to you, to make you accelerate backwards. to accelerate backwards, a force has to be applied, correct? so without that force, you won't accelerate. you can't have acceleration without a force, but you can have a force without acceleration!!!

yes F=MA balances out, but an equation doesn't explain everything.

This discussion is filled with ridiculous banter... going back to PBLs dilemma, no one has mentioned one thing about the gravity equation while trying to explain gravity.

I'm waiting for the Lord PBL to explain his views because I think you and I will have some interesting points!